UPDATE as of June 11, 2019: This position has been filled.
BUILD is a mission-driven coworking space for community-serving organizations located in the heart of the Five Points neighborhood in Denver, Colorado.
BUILD is managed by Radian, a non-profit architecture and urban design group that serves community advocates through a people-centered approach. The BUILD Design Fellowship is a partnership between Radian and Borough + Block, a BUILD member and human-centered design studio focused on learning and educational projects.
Together, we are excited to bring on a Community Designer for an 8-week fellowship program. This is an opportunity to collaborate on projects that matter, using design to impact the Denver community and beyond, while growing your skill set alongside industry leaders.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
In June 2019, we are kicking off our first-ever Community Design fellowship program at BUILD. Over the course of eight weeks, this fellow will join our team full-time to learn, grow and contribute to our mission-driven work.
During your time in the fellowship, you can expect to:
- Receive training, knowledge and mentorship from industry leaders in human-centered design, equitable architecture, urban planning, education, community engagement, and more.
- Collaborate with small teams across two organizations on various mission-driven projects.
- Lead a capstone project that is specific to your interests relating to urban systems, and aligns with the work of Radian and Borough + Block.
- Facilitate and support community engagement efforts and research projects in order to synthesize findings, identify patterns in data and make improvements to current systems and programs.
- Communicate your findings to the team, and share insights through a variety of formats, including written stories, graphics, sketches, presentation decks, reports, exhibits, and more.
Here’s what we’re looking for in a BUILD Design Fellow:
- Denver-based or willing to spend eight weeks in the Mile High City.
- Available full-time: middle of June through mid-August (exact dates can be flexible).
- Graduate student or recent graduate with professional experience.
- Experience and comfort in planning a research process, conducting fieldwork, and leading interviews.
- Experience and comfort in planning a community engagement process and facilitating workshops.
- Experience with data collection and analysis, and the ability to quickly process information in order to arrive at meaningful insights.
- Excellent graphic communication skills and proficient in Adobe Creative Suite.
- Takes initiative and ownership over projects and feels comfortable working independently, while also thriving in a collaborative team environment.
- Open to learning, committed to personal growth, and proactive about seeking feedback.
- A passion for contributing to mission-driven work and seeking to make an impact.
- Bonus points if you are bilingual in Spanish.
Contact for questions: Camryn Walton; email@example.com
Application Submission: Complete this application form, which includes submitting your resume, cover letter, portfolio and LinkedIn profile. Applications will be accepted from now until May 3, 2019.
Program dates: The fellowship runs from mid-June to mid-August 2019.
Structure: You will spend four days a week contributing to meaningful projects alongside Radian and Borough + Block. One day a week will be self-directed and focused on developing your capstone project with the support of the BUILD team.
Compensation: $3,500 total stipend.
Everyone is welcome: Radian and Borough + Block are equal opportunity employers. Women, non-binary individuals, minorities, people with disabilities, veterans, and people of all ages are strongly encouraged to apply.